Friday, January 27, 2006

Cape Town fire: Table Mountain up in smoke...

I spent much of yesterday afternoon watching Table Mountain disappear behind a curtain of thick smoke. The pictures below are taken from our flat's balcony in Tamboerskloof - the 3rd photo is 10 minutes after the first - that's how quickly the fire was spreading. The flames were fanned by gale-force winds which aided its devastation and hampered dousing efforts.
Table Mountain Fire 1 Table Mountain Fire 2 Table Mountain Fire 3

Kloof Nek Road Fire 2Now my curiosity got the better of me and I walked up Kloof Nek Rd to see what photos I could get with my new Canon SLR 350D. After that I joined a whole stack of people watching the choppers collect water from the reservoir in Gardens.
Kloof Nek Road Fire Chopper doing its thing

Helicopters filling up in gardensFire sunset 
Some fire information websites:
Surviving a Fynbos Fire
Fire Awareness
Proteas and Fire

A short Wikipedia note on fire and fynbos


For more info about Table Mountain visit SANParks Table Mountain National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...